Monday, December 5, 2011

Life Is Too Short & Unpredictable

Though the manuscript of my latest novel, Les Ruines (see first chapter excerpt on my blog), is complete, I continue to research the events of the Second World War. As I browsed the anecdotal content of All Hell Let Loose, the latest book on WWII by historian, Max Hastings: http://www.amazon.com/All-Hell-Let-Loose-Hastings/dp/0007431201/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322749219&sr=8-2 , my thoughts turned to the more recent and tangible images that swamped our television screens as we watched the horrors of 9/11 unfold.
It is impossible to attempt to comprehend how those who died must have felt when facing certain death. The only comfort is that they are now at peace. However, for their friends and relatives, the nightmare lives on. I wonder how many had a spat with a loved one that morning and now suffer not only the loss but also the regret.
Sometimes, life itself can be a punishment for our behaviour, whereas death can be an escape. Perhaps we should always celebrate our differences and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment